November 19, 2013

but the children love the books

A DIY BOOKSHELF:

I kept searching for the perfect bookshelf for the nursery and just couldn't fall in love with anything I saw in stores.  I wanted something specific: plenty of storage space, certain height and width, I wanted it to be white, and I wanted it to have some character.

Joe kept resorting to making the bookshelf but the nesting mother in me didn't want to wait for that to happen:)  We were getting down to the wire, 4 weeks to my due date to be exact, when Joe found an Ana White plan, bought all the materials and got to work.  I happened to be out of town the entire weekend for an ACTS retreat while he got started which took away a lot of stressing over measurements and price of materials, etc.  Joe did all the hard stuff and I got home to see the frame and start painting....aka the FUN stuff!






Side boards

Swollen ankles I do not miss you!

Leveling the shelves


We decided to add bead board to the back and stained it a dark stain, Jacobean, which we already had from our wine rack.


Filling in holes with paintable wood putty


Primed and painted!  We used the white paint we had left over from our Bookshelf project.


We purchased a decorative piece of trim and stained it to match the back.  This adds just a touch of character that we love.



Voila!!  A diy, rustic, white, certain height, certain width, plenty of storage space bookshelf with character.






No comments:

Post a Comment